Last month I spent four amazing days at the Sundance Resort, Utah at a travel trade event which focused solely on sub-Saharan Africa. This professional event is intimate, immersive and empowering. The objective of We Are Africa is to connect a small group of hand-selected North American travel consultants with African hoteliers and tourism experts; safari lodge owners & management in addition conservationists and local community builders.
My passion for African travel was ignited when I first visited South Africa in 2008. It truly changed how I look at the world and how I now approach traveling to just about anywhere else on the planet. I sometimes find it difficult to describe my visceral African experiences. What I know is that I love collaborating with clients on African vacations.
Maybe you’ve already been to Africa and you want to return- this go ’round with adult children and grandchildren. Maybe you want to open your kids’ eyes to the deep cultural and wildlife opportunities. Or, maybe you want this for yourself! Perhaps you want to mark a special anniversary or celebrate a birthday with friends. Maybe it’s simply just time to throw off the bowlines and go!
Here’s a wee hint of what Africa has to offer. Each trip is personalized and designed with you in mind. I hope you’ll think of me when you’re ready to visit Africa on a life-changing vacation. Let Africa ignite your travel soul!
- Do you want to embrace the light footprint along the Skeleton Coast of Namibia, staying in a shipwreck-style luxury cabin?
- How about a digital detox exploring the wilds of Botswana? Or, hone your photography skills on a photo-centric experience aboard a specially designed houseboat along the Chobe and Zambezi Rivers?
- Visit Saruni, where you might be lucky enough to meet Cecilia, the first female General Manager of a luxury safari property in the Masai Mara, Kenya.
- Enjoy family-centric wildlife & community adventures, luxuriate in 5-star luxury or experience mobile tented safari camps where wildlife is front-and-center. Or, wine & dine through South Africa’s Western Cape then watch whales breach from the terrace of an intimate hotel on South Africa’s rugged south coast.
- Count bird species in the Okavango Delta, trek to mountain gorillas in Uganda or Rwanda, hang out with chimps on the private Rubondo Island Camp on Lake Victoria. Forage in the wild for edibles then create a meal with a Capetonian chef. -Rochelle, November 2018