Airports have lost most of their charm and are now crowded, bustling, transitional spaces. Here are some tips, straight from the travel pros at Peace Frogs Travel/Outfitters, for ways to speed up the flight check-in process and, dare I say, might allow you to glide through security and relax a little bit before your flight.
- Travel only with a carry-on. Check-in within 24 hours of your flight online and then proceed directly to security when you arrive at the airport.
- Look into getting TSA pre-check or Global Entry. If you travel internationally, for $15 extra dollars Global Entry makes more sense. At $100 for a five-year membership, you’ll get expedited security & US customs screening. Basically, you go through the shortest TSA lines at the airport.
- If you are not a Trusted Traveler or Global Entry cardholder, keep all the items that you need to retrieve while going through security easily accessible. Put all liquids in 3.4 oz bottles in one quart-sized clear bag and consolidate snacks in another. Wear shoes that can easily slip on and off, and don’t forget socks. No one wants to enter the x-ray machine in bare feet!
- Many large airports now display wait times for TSA checkpoints on their websites so you can remain in the loop.
- Take the edge off your travels and utilize airport lounges for long layovers. If you’re not flying on a premium ticket or don’t have a top-level credit card, check out an app like Lounge Buddy to utilize lounges at a pay per day rate.
- Need to shut out the distractions around you? Don’t forget the power of noise canceling headphones. They work wonders.
-Lindsay, March 2019