We have had an influx of clients looking for “off the beaten path” experiences this year. This includes going on safari in Namibia, trekking the jungles of South America, or spending time on a junk boat off the coast of Alaska. Not to mention all of the recent graduates who stop in for supplies and advice on their summer backpacking trips. These types of adventures require a different method of packing. When you travel by small bush plane or need to stash all of your belongings in a tight space on a boat, the common two- or four-wheeled suitcases are not an option. Here are some key items for adventurer travelers:
– Eagle Creek No Matter What Duffel – This sturdy, water-resistant duffel can be squished under a bed in a hostel or on a boat and the medium sized duffel fits the requirements for most safari planes (where a soft bag is often required by the outfitter).
– Eagle Creek Compression Sacs – The air-tight bags are ideal for saving space and keeping like items organized inside a large duffel bag.
– Exofficio Quick Dry Underwear – Travel light with only a few pairs of lightweight, quick dry underwear that can easily be washed in the sink at night and dry within hours.
– Exofficio Insect Shield Neck Gaiter and Hiking Socks – Protect yourself from mosquitos, ticks, and other bugs with these key items that have Permethrin woven into the fabric. Learn more about Insect Shield on our post Keep The Bugs at Bay.
– Cocoon Travel Towel – If you are staying in camps or hostels, bringing your own towel is necessary. Cocoon makes some of the best travel towels and washcloths that roll up incredibly small and dry quickly.
– Marmot Precip Rain Jacket – This lightweight rain jacket is 100% waterproof and rolls up into its hood for easy packing.
– Vapur Bottle – A good water bottle is an essential item for all adventures. This collapsible 1L bottle is BPA free, dishwasher safe, and clips on to the side of your bag.
Other items that we love for backpackers, campers, and our safari-going clients include Woolite packets and a clothesline for easy laundry, tush wipes, a handy duct tape packet for quick fixes, and the GoBites travel utensil set. Call Peace Frogs Travel/Outfitters today to set up a private packing demo, where we can show you some best practices for packing in a duffel for your next adventure. –Ellen, June 2016