A week ago I read an article in which the Farmer’s Almanac, the familiar, 223-year-old chronicler of climate, folksy advice and fun facts, is predicting a colder winter for the Eastern U.S. If the winter of 2013-2014 still sends shivers down your spine all I can say is: Get that warm weather vacation on the books now!
Thailand, Brazil, Bali and the Seychelles are a bit far away for those of us who reside in the mid-Atlantic region so here are some ideas and suggestions for locations closer to home.
- Anytime, however the winter value seasons are pocketed between major holidays and school vacations.
- Flexibility in your travel days—flying on a Tuesday or Wednesday rather than a weekend can save some money.
- For outdoor adventure pursuits try St. Lucia, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Belize, Hawaii or Dominica.
- Looking for culture, history and/or urban excitement try Barbados, Curacao, Aruba, Cancun/Riviera Maya (Mexico), Nassau (Bahamas) or Puerto Rico.
- Wine and dine in French St. Martin or St. Barth’s.
- Beach and underwater adventures abound in Antigua, Turks & Caicos, St. John (USVI) and Grand Cayman.
- For the ultimate in romance, peace and quiet look at Virgin Gorda (BVI), Anguilla or Grenada.
What: (questions to ask before you begin the search for that perfect getaway)
- Do you prefer a large all-inclusive resort with lots of bells and whistles or something smaller and more intimate?
- If you are a large group or a multi-generational family consider a luxury villa stay (and why not throw in a full staff so you don’t have to cook).
- Would you like a family focused property or an adult only resort?
Other practicalities include decisions about an overall vacation budget and trip length. In most cases a passport is required, too.
You can escape the cold this winter and make that ‘tropical drink in hand under a palm tree dream’ a reality! –Rochelle, September 2014