May 26, 2013
June 9, 2013

Many clients get well into the vacation planning process before they realize that their passport has expired.  So this year I checked the validity of my own family’s passports and sure enough, I discovered that my children’s passports had expired.

An adult passport (age 16 or older) is good for 10 years and a minor’s passport (under age 16) is good for 5 years.

If your passport has expired, you have several options.  The most painless option is to renew by mail if you comply with the following stipulations:

  • If your most recent U.S. passport is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
  • If your most recent U.S. passport was issued when you were age 16 or older;
  • If your most recent U.S. passport was issued within the last 15 years;
  • If your most recent U.S. passport was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change.

The forms that you need to fill out for passport renewal (DS-82) are available on-line at the U.S. Department of State website and once you have completed those forms, you can mail them with your most recent expired passport, new passport photos (which we can take for you here at Peace Frogs Travel/Outfitters), and a check for the applicable passport renewal fee made payable to the U.S. Department of State. The passport renewal process can be expedited (2-3 weeks) for an additional $60 and you need to clearly mark “EXPEDITED” on the outside of your envelope.

I was not able to renew by mail as my daughter was under age 16 when her original passport was issued, so we made an appointment at the post office to deliver her expired passport, completed forms, photos and renewal fee.  You must make an appointment to get this done and cannot simply show up at the post office with all the requisite materials.  I have heard from other clients that the post offices in Madison and in Waynesboro are far less busy than the Charlottesville Post Office but you still need to make an appointment.