March 27, 2013
April 30, 2013

One of the most confusing aspects of preparing for a trip is figuring out how to use your hairdryer, laptop or other electronic/electric devices abroad. Do I need an adapter? When do I need a converter? Transformer- what is that? Don’t worry! The staff at Peace Frogs Travel/Outfitters has the answers.

These are the questions we will ask when you come to see us:

1)      Where are you going? Although an obvious question, this will lead us to the correct adapter or adapters that you need (some countries have multiple). Almost all international sockets look different from those we have in the U.S. In order to fit our plug into their socket, you will need an adapter. If you are traveling to a few different countries, we have all-in-one adapters to save space.

2)      What are you taking that will need to be plugged in? Hairdryers, computers and chargers require different converters. Check your devices to see what they have written down for voltage. This should be written on the back of the charger or on the body of the appliance. If you see 100-240V, this means that it is dual-voltage and you will not need an additional converter or transformer to convert voltage. Many newer electronics have this capacity. If you just see 110V, then you will need an additional converter (for electric motor appliances) or transformer (for electronics). Most hairdryers fall into this realm. We also sell dual-voltage hairdryers, curling irons and hair straighteners. This will allow you to bypass the converter and just use an adapter.