This past Wednesday, as snowy Storm Saturn passed through the mid-Atlantic, most of us should have been so lucky to be napping under a swaying palm while warm sea breezes caressed our face. Well, not all is lost. The Caribbean isn’t going anywhere and many hotels are offering terrific promotions for stays starting in the late spring through summer and into fall. This is also an especially popular time for weddings in Central Virginia so a honeymoon or adult-only romantic getaway (the kids are at summer camp, yes?) may be in order.
Five Caribbean Travel Trends of 2013:
- Wellness in all shapes and forms – from The BodyHoliday, LeSport on St. Lucia, one of the most unique destination spas anywhere, to Carlisle Bay on Antigua, which has just announced 3- and 7-day Wellness Escapes. Or, for the active fitness buff who likes a spa treatment here and there, the Couples Resorts on Jamaica offer a nice balance and their fresh veggie/fruit bars are a perfect complement.
- Villa vacations. From the grandiose where a multi-generational family might celebrate a special event to something more private and romantic. There’s a wide array of options.
- Culinary experiences. St. Lucia’s Jade Mountain and Anse Chastanet boast new culinary packages, and Jake’s and Round Hill Hotel & Villas in Jamaica have joined the farm-to-table movement. For the foodie, French St. Martin and St. Barth’s are sure hits, too.
- Adventures outside the hotel gates. Looking for more than a sunset cruise or a photo op at Dunn’s River Falls? Jungle Bay Resort & Spa in Dominica unveiled a Fitness Boot Camp package featuring hiking and kayaking, and for the diver, there’s the Tiger Beach Shark Excursion on Grand Bahama Island or The Blue Hole in Belize. And, don’t forget about historic cultural explorations located throughout the islands.
- Girlfriend getaways and Mancations. Sometimes girls and guys just want to have fun, separately. A long weekend bonding with friends has become quite a niche market.